Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pennypincher's Corner IV - Double Feature: Alter A.I.L.A. & Alter A.I.L.A. Genesis

Genre: RPG
Developer: Neok

Sturgeon's Law shows up in spades when looking at games made in RPG Maker (I, myself, have fallen to it, which is why I haven't actually released any of the games I've made). Alter A.I.L.A. and its remake, Alter A.I.L.A. Genesis, both fall into that other 10%. They're both really good, if almost different games.
Both versions of Alter A.I.L.A. take place in a post-apocalyptic sci-fi world, in which a group of nine prisoners fight for their lives for the public's amusement (kind of like the late Roman Empire). When circumstances allow them to escape, they find new lives for themselves. And this is where the two games differentiate themselves.
The original Alter A.I.L.A. presents three different storylines: serve the Empire, join the rebellion, or try to ignore the conflict and live as a normal citizen. Clearing all three unlocks a fourth, and this gives the game great replay value. You can find it here.
The remake, Genesis, only has one storyline, but this allows for more detail in its plot, and more character development. It also has an improved combat system. Get it here.
Which version you'll want to play all comes down to what you'd prefer. Myself, I love them both equally well, as they're both well-made RPGs. So I say, try them out.

--Kotaro

Note: Both Alter A.I.L.A. and Alter A.I.L.A. Genesis were made using RPG Maker 2003, and thus require the program to be installed on your PC before they will run. Fortunately, RPG Maker 2003 is now officially freeware, so you can easily download it.

No comments:

Post a Comment